Implemented by Council September 28, 2012
(To commence as of January 1, 2013 with the first reporting period being December 31, 2013 to be supplied with Registration of Membership for 2014.)
The Association of Newfoundland Land Surveyors Mandatory Continuing Professional Development
Program (MCPDP) is designed to encourage the attendance of practicing Newfoundland Land
Surveyors at seminars sponsored by the Association (or other professional associations) and to
participate in other education and training opportunities to assist their professional development. It
is also designed to require the membership to take an active part in the various regular functions of
the Association. The Association further recognizes that the individual member’s professional and
personal development can be enhanced by one’s involvement in activities other than those stated
The intent of the program is professional development and continuing education in our chosen
profession, land surveying. The MCPDP is designed so members acquire the majority of necessary
points through Category 1 – Education and Training, Category 2 – Association Participation and
Category 3 of the Mandatory Professional Development Program was established to recognize
“other activities” and their value to land surveyors’ professional development and to permit the
acquisition of MCPDP points by land surveyors through this involvement. These other activities
include, but are not restricted to, land surveyors’ participation in the affairs of their community (or
the global community).
These activities allow interaction with both the general public and members of other professional
organizations who strive to attain a common goal for the betterment of the community and also the
opportunity for land surveyors to interact with these other persons in an environment other than
the purely professional relationship of land surveyor – client.
- Within this document MCPD shall mean Mandatory Continuing Professional Development.
- MCPD Period (MCPDP) means the three-year points acquisition period identified in Section 3.1.
- Reporting Period is the calendar year for accumulating points. See Sections 3.2 and 3.6.
MCPD PROGRAM CATEGORIES
The MCPD Program shall comprise the following categories of participation:
- Category 1 – Education and Training
Professional development seminars and similar activities offered by professional organizations (ANLS, PEGNL, etc.) and courses at recognized educational institutions (University, Community College, etc.).
- Category 2 – Association Participation
Participation in association activities including but not limited to:
- attendance at annual general meetings and special general meetings
- attendance at regional meetings
- service on Council and/or association committees
- Category 3 – Other Activities
Activities that do not appear as specific items listed in Sections 2.1 and 2.2.
- Category 1 – Education and Training
- The MCPD Period shall be of 3-year duration during which a member must acquire a minimum of 100 points, with a minimum of 20 points in each year.
- For purposes of the MCPD Point System a “reporting period” begins on January 1st and ends on December 31st.
- New members are exempt only for the year in which they receive their license to practice.
- The following persons are exempt from participating in the MCPD program:
- Life Members
- Retired Members
- Honorary Members
- Associate Members
- Each member is responsible for keeping a record of his or her points for the reporting period.
- The Professional Development Committee shall prepare a standard Points Reporting Form, which will be forwarded to members with their annual invoice for dues. This form is to be completed by the member and returned to the Association office on or before December 31st immediately following the year being reported. It is recommended that proof of course completion or other related information in support of the points claim be submitted with the Points Reporting Form as supporting documentation.
- The association will be required to keep a database of the MCPD Points accumulated by each member. Upon request from a member at any time, the association shall provide the total of his or her accumulated points.
- Any professional development course, seminar, function etc., whether survey related or not, will be considered by the Continuing Professional Development Committee towards a member’s MCPD Points
- Any professional development seminar organized by the Continuing Education Committee or sponsored by another professional organization and endorsed by the Continuing Professional Committee will be eligible for MCPD Points for the members who attend. The point value for these seminars will be included with the seminar notice or registration details for the seminar. The point value for these seminars shall be generally between 5 and 15 points for a one-half to a full day seminar.
- Other seminars or courses for which a member applies, as credit towards his or her MCPD
Program, will be converted into points depending on the number of hours of participation. This
conversion shall generally be:
Survey related: 1 hour = 1 point Non survey related 4 hours = 1 point
Note: For consistency with Section 4.5.1, this limits the number of points per year, which can be acquired by completing of full or part time courses offered by recognized educational institutions such as Universities or Community Colleges, the maximum number of points which can be acquired through “in house” training offered by employers will also be limited to 20 points per year.
- Points for Association Related Activities:
(Note: Does not include attendance at seminars sponsored by the Association of Newfoundland Land Surveyors. See Section 4.2)
Annual General Meeting 15 points Special General Meeting 15 points Industry Meeting 5 points (A maximum of three per year is permissible)
Committees 2 hours = 1 point Council per Council meeting = 8 points Monitor 2 hours = 1 point Presenters 1 hour = 4 points Other as determined by Continuing Education Committee
Note: The set point value for Council meetings is to include the entire Councillor’s preparation time for the meetings and the time for organizing and chairing other committee meetings. The Councillor is eligible for the points for attending the Industry meetings.
- A member must accumulate a minimum of 30 points under PART I of Section 4.4 during his or her 3- year MCPD Period
- A member may accumulate a maximum of 35 points per year for Association Related Activities.
- A member may accumulate a maximum of 30 points per year under PART II of Section 4.4.
(Note: PART II does not include attendance at seminars sponsored by the Association of Newfoundland Land Surveyors. See Section 4.2)
- Points for successful completion of full or part time courses offered by recognized educational institutions such as Universities or Community Colleges, or formal “in-house training” offered by an employer will be awarded by applying the conversions as per Section 4.3.
- A member may accumulate a maximum of 20 points per year for courses, including “in-house training” described in Section 4.5.
- Points that exceed the maximums may not be carried over into subsequent reporting periods or MCPD Periods.
The Continuing Professional Development Committee realizes that there will be other activities that may qualify as credit towards the MCPD Points that are not specifically dealt with in this program. Examples of activities that may be considered for MCPD Points are the writing of published articles or reports and attendance at other seminars, training sessions, community involvement.
A member may accumulate a maximum of 10 points per year for community involvement.
In this case the Continuing Professional Development Committee will allow a member to request in writing to the Continuing Professional Development Committee for an assessment of the activity relative to the MCPD Program. The member must provide adequate information to the Continuing Professional Development Committee for their assessment. The Continuing Professional Development Committee will determine if such activity is valid towards the MCPD Program, and if so, will assign a point value for such activity.
To assure the point value, which will be assigned to an “other” activity identified under Category 3 (see Section 2.3), it is recommended that the member request the assessment prior to partaking in the activity. The Continuing Professional Development Committee will advise the requesting member, in writing, as to the findings of their assessment within 30 calendar days of receipt of the request. Members wishing to attain points under this section must forward information to the Continuing Professional Development Committee for evaluation prior to the end of the reporting period.
- The Council of the ANLS and the Continuing Professional Development Committee have an obligation to make opportunities for professional development readily and equally available, as they deem reasonable, to all members.
NON-COMPLIANCE & EXEMPTIONS
- Failure to comply with the requirements of the Mandatory Continuing Professional Development Program will result in the member being notified that the right to practice professional land surveying may be suspended if he is deemed non-compliant through ANLS Discipline (Act, Section 53).
- A participating member who may not be able to comply with the requirements of the MCPD Program because of health or other legitimate reasons may apply to the Continuing Professional Development Committee for an exemption from the program for a specific time. The Continuing Professional Development Committee shall review the request and make a recommendation to council for their decision.
The Points Reporting Form will be issued yearly with membership Invoice. The Form is available on in PDF format on the Members MCPD web page http://www.anls.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/20160405144311633.pdf which can be printed, completed annually and forwarded to the Association by mail or fax.